Minor Skin Surgery
Jan Riley RN, MNurs(NP) Advanced Practice Dermatology Nurse
Helen Rothenbuhler RN, MNurs (Hons), BNurs, BACounselling, Advanced Practice Dermatology Nurse
This is a 2 day course for RN’s and Medication endorsed EN’s wishing to establish BASIC skin surgical skills. Background theory and some assisted practice to surgical skills will be provided.
- At completion of the course nurses will require further training and support from an experienced clinician to achieve competency under supervision in their own clinical area
- Nurses should have access to a suitably experienced mentor willing assist and supervise their transition to competency
- There will be pre-reading circulated post registration, necessary to support the information provided during the module
- Professional and lawful practice; role development, supporting documentation, evidence of education
- Patient assessment
- Surgical anatomy
- Instruments and sutures; safe handling and appropriate choices
- LA; pharmacology & safe and effective infiltration
- Simple Suturing technique; Knot tying
- Lesion biopsy and tissue handling
A certificate of attendance (NOT attainment) will be provided enabling contact hours to be added to your portfolio.